so hey fun fact for anyone who wants queer history trivia: the first disco in Seattle was opened in 1973 and was a gay bar called “shelly’s leg” and it was named after a dancer named shelly who lost her leg in a confetti cannon accident and used the insurance/lawsuit settlement money to open a gay disco.
a) This is such a fantastic story that I wouldn’t care if it were made up, except that
“Wake up early. Drink coffee. Work hard. Be ambitious. Keep your priorities straight, your mind right and your head up. Do well, live well and dress really well. Do what you love, love what you do. It is time to start living.”—Unknown (via ryelmo)
Westboro Baptist Church is a red herring. People always use them as the ultimate example of Christian homophobia, but they really aren’t. WBC mostly believes things that are entirely part of mainstream Christian homophobia:
I have celebrity crushes! I know that it is a shock to everyone (not really), but I really do like some celebrities and I do find them very attractive. On a given day I can be asked this question: “If you could date a celebrity, who would it be and why?” I find this question quite funny; yet oddly…
I ordered a hot drink with LIGHT whip cream and when she gave it to me it was like an inch full of whip cream! I knew this because it melted in like 30 seconds. So I asked again for her to make it with LIGHT whip cream and she STILL didn't do it!
1. Don’t try to piss quietly. Nobody in a public restroom thinks you’re knitting in your stall. They came to piss, just like you. And if you have to take a dump, do it. Get over your fear of public toilets. It’ll make life a lot easier.
2. Masturbate. Masturbate a lot. Talk about it with your friends. You’ve got the right to make yourself feel good and brag about it just like all the boys with extra large kleenex packages on their desks.
3. If you want the large fries, get the large fries. Hunger and appetite are nothing to be ashamed of, just human. Don’t ever feel guilty for eating in front of others. You need to nourish your body to stay alive. We all do.
4. Laugh as loud as you have to, no matter if you snort or gasp or literally scream.
5. Fart when you have to.
6. Always remember you weren’t born to visually please others. Forget the phrase “what if they think it’s ugly”. If you think it’s lovely, it is lovely. You wanna wear it, wear it!
7. Speak your mind! You can learn to do so without insulting others or shoving your opinion down other people’s throats.
”—Seven Simple Ways To Free Yourself, from girl to girl (via mandykaren)
It was Labor Day weekend, and our manager only scheduled 4 people to run the floor from 4pm to close. It was pack non-stop the entire day, which was grounds for some interesting interactions.
Crush Barista: “Good evening, welcome to Starbucks. What can we get started for you?”
Drive Thru Customer: “Thank you.”
Crush Barista (trying to clarify with another DT customer): “Sorry, could you please repeat that?”
DT customer: “No thanks, I’ll just drive up to the window and order there.”
And to top it all off, we were so slammed that no one had a chance to take a lunch break, so our shift supervisor ordered a ton of nachos from a local place for dinner.
It took over two hours for the four of us to close and I slipped and feel in my ass in front of Crush Barista, but we had a ton of laughs and even kind of formed a band: Slippery Dickinson and the Rotten Bananas.
And on the 565th day of this blog running, I would like to remind
you that you are important. You are beautiful, smart, funny, talented. You are special. And, although it may not feel like it, you are loved.
Day 565 isn’t a special day- it’s just average like every other. But it’s important to remember today, tomorrow, and everyday that you are important.